Thane building collapse: Civic official arrested
Thane: With the arrest of a Deputy Municipal Commissioner of Thane Municipal Corporation on Wednesday night, the number of arrests in connection with the building collapse in Mumbra area has gone up to 22.
DMC Srikant Sarmokdam, whose name was found in the diary of the builder (already arrested), was taken into custody, police said.
Police had deferred arresting him because of a death in his family. Sarmokdam was due to retire soon, police added.
Seventy-four people died when a 7-story unauthorised building in Shil-Phata area near Mumbra in the district collapsed earlier this month.
The builders had allegedly bribed the corporation officials to turn a blind eye to the construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant