Thane building collapse: Civic official arrested
Thane: With the arrest of a Deputy Municipal Commissioner of Thane Municipal Corporation on Wednesday night, the number of arrests in connection with the building collapse in Mumbra area has gone up to 22.
DMC Srikant Sarmokdam, whose name was found in the diary of the builder (already arrested), was taken into custody, police said.
Police had deferred arresting him because of a death in his family. Sarmokdam was due to retire soon, police added.
Seventy-four people died when a 7-story unauthorised building in Shil-Phata area near Mumbra in the district collapsed earlier this month.
The builders had allegedly bribed the corporation officials to turn a blind eye to the construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog