Thane building collapse: Civic official arrested
Thane: With the arrest of a Deputy Municipal Commissioner of Thane Municipal Corporation on Wednesday night, the number of arrests in connection with the building collapse in Mumbra area has gone up to 22.
DMC Srikant Sarmokdam, whose name was found in the diary of the builder (already arrested), was taken into custody, police said.
Police had deferred arresting him because of a death in his family. Sarmokdam was due to retire soon, police added.
Seventy-four people died when a 7-story unauthorised building in Shil-Phata area near Mumbra in the district collapsed earlier this month.
The builders had allegedly bribed the corporation officials to turn a blind eye to the construction.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India