Thane building collapse: Civic official arrested
Thane: With the arrest of a Deputy Municipal Commissioner of Thane Municipal Corporation on Wednesday night, the number of arrests in connection with the building collapse in Mumbra area has gone up to 22.
DMC Srikant Sarmokdam, whose name was found in the diary of the builder (already arrested), was taken into custody, police said.
Police had deferred arresting him because of a death in his family. Sarmokdam was due to retire soon, police added.
Seventy-four people died when a 7-story unauthorised building in Shil-Phata area near Mumbra in the district collapsed earlier this month.
The builders had allegedly bribed the corporation officials to turn a blind eye to the construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!