Thane building collapse: Corporator`s bail plea re
Thane: Additional Sessions Judge K R Warrier dismissed the bail application of corporator Hira Patil, in a case related to the Shilphata building crash which killed 74 and injured 60.
Patil is one among the 20 accused still in jail, besides two builders, deputy municipal commissioners, assistant municipal commissioners, policeman and middlemen.
In his order, the judge observed that the prosecution is yet to file a chargesheet in this case and hence this was the right time to consider the bail plea.
Appearing for Patil, counsel Gajabhau Chavan told the court that his client was a responsible and alert corporator.
He said that from time to time, Patil reported the mushrooming of unauthorised constructions in his ward and forewarned about possible mishaps, though authorities did nothing.
The counsel produced at least 20 letters written by Patil to civic authorities and said that only half a dozen replies were received which stated that the matter was being looked into, though no action was taken by civic authorities, he said.
He told the court that the illegal building which crashed was not in Patil`s ward at all and he did not know or have any connection with the two builders who constructed the ill-fated Adarsh-II building.
Corporator Patil was neither directly nor indirectly connected with the construction, his counsel told the court.
However, public prosecutor Hemalata Deshmukh counter argued that corporator Patil had exhorted money from the builder from time to time, totalling to around Rs 4.30 lakhs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'