Thane building collapse: Corporator`s bail plea re
Thane: Additional Sessions Judge K R Warrier dismissed the bail application of corporator Hira Patil, in a case related to the Shilphata building crash which killed 74 and injured 60.
Patil is one among the 20 accused still in jail, besides two builders, deputy municipal commissioners, assistant municipal commissioners, policeman and middlemen.
In his order, the judge observed that the prosecution is yet to file a chargesheet in this case and hence this was the right time to consider the bail plea.
Appearing for Patil, counsel Gajabhau Chavan told the court that his client was a responsible and alert corporator.
He said that from time to time, Patil reported the mushrooming of unauthorised constructions in his ward and forewarned about possible mishaps, though authorities did nothing.
The counsel produced at least 20 letters written by Patil to civic authorities and said that only half a dozen replies were received which stated that the matter was being looked into, though no action was taken by civic authorities, he said.
He told the court that the illegal building which crashed was not in Patil`s ward at all and he did not know or have any connection with the two builders who constructed the ill-fated Adarsh-II building.
Corporator Patil was neither directly nor indirectly connected with the construction, his counsel told the court.
However, public prosecutor Hemalata Deshmukh counter argued that corporator Patil had exhorted money from the builder from time to time, totalling to around Rs 4.30 lakhs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it