Thane building collapse: Corporator`s bail plea re
Thane: Additional Sessions Judge K R Warrier dismissed the bail application of corporator Hira Patil, in a case related to the Shilphata building crash which killed 74 and injured 60.
Patil is one among the 20 accused still in jail, besides two builders, deputy municipal commissioners, assistant municipal commissioners, policeman and middlemen.
In his order, the judge observed that the prosecution is yet to file a chargesheet in this case and hence this was the right time to consider the bail plea.
Appearing for Patil, counsel Gajabhau Chavan told the court that his client was a responsible and alert corporator.
He said that from time to time, Patil reported the mushrooming of unauthorised constructions in his ward and forewarned about possible mishaps, though authorities did nothing.
The counsel produced at least 20 letters written by Patil to civic authorities and said that only half a dozen replies were received which stated that the matter was being looked into, though no action was taken by civic authorities, he said.
He told the court that the illegal building which crashed was not in Patil`s ward at all and he did not know or have any connection with the two builders who constructed the ill-fated Adarsh-II building.
Corporator Patil was neither directly nor indirectly connected with the construction, his counsel told the court.
However, public prosecutor Hemalata Deshmukh counter argued that corporator Patil had exhorted money from the builder from time to time, totalling to around Rs 4.30 lakhs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference