Thane building collapse: Corporator`s bail plea re
Thane: Additional Sessions Judge K R Warrier dismissed the bail application of corporator Hira Patil, in a case related to the Shilphata building crash which killed 74 and injured 60.
Patil is one among the 20 accused still in jail, besides two builders, deputy municipal commissioners, assistant municipal commissioners, policeman and middlemen.
In his order, the judge observed that the prosecution is yet to file a chargesheet in this case and hence this was the right time to consider the bail plea.
Appearing for Patil, counsel Gajabhau Chavan told the court that his client was a responsible and alert corporator.
He said that from time to time, Patil reported the mushrooming of unauthorised constructions in his ward and forewarned about possible mishaps, though authorities did nothing.
The counsel produced at least 20 letters written by Patil to civic authorities and said that only half a dozen replies were received which stated that the matter was being looked into, though no action was taken by civic authorities, he said.
He told the court that the illegal building which crashed was not in Patil`s ward at all and he did not know or have any connection with the two builders who constructed the ill-fated Adarsh-II building.
Corporator Patil was neither directly nor indirectly connected with the construction, his counsel told the court.
However, public prosecutor Hemalata Deshmukh counter argued that corporator Patil had exhorted money from the builder from time to time, totalling to around Rs 4.30 lakhs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter