Thane building collapse: Juniors being made scapegoats, say lawyers
Thane: The accused in the Thane building collapse case on Thursday argued before the local court that junior officers were being made scapegoats to shield the higher-ups.
As many as seventy-four persons were killed when a 7-storey under-construction building in Shil Phata area here collapsed last month. Police have arrested 22 persons, including some officers of Thane Municipal Corporation.
During the hearing on bail applications before special judge K R Warrier, advocate Sailesh Sadekar, representing suspended Deputy Municipal Commissioner Deepak Chavan, alleged that juniors were being framed up to save the Municipal Commissioner.
He referred to newspaper reports that locals had complained to the Commissioner two months before the incident about the construction, but no action was taken.
Advocate Anil Navle, for Ramesh Inamdar, municipal engineer, said senior police officials were equally responsible for allowing the unauthorised building to come up.
Navle also referred to allegations in a Marathi daily that local MLA Jitendra Awhad (NCP) threatened forest department officials when they conducted survey of illegal constructions in forest area near Mumbra. He said that civic officials were never given protection while acting against unauthorised constructions.
Advocate Vijay Sali, the lawyer of suspended Deputy Municipal Commissioner (DMC) Srikant Sarmokdam, argued that preventing the unauthorised constructions was not the responsibility of a DMC, and his client was not in charge of the area when the construction of the building started.
The hearing would continue next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections