Thane building collapse: Ten dead, 14 injured
Thane: With three more bodies being recovered from the debris of a building that collapsed here in the wee hours on Friday, the death toll has gone up to 10 while 14 people have been injured in the mishap, officials said.
The 35-year-old three-storey `Shakuntala` building, situated at Bazarpeth in Mumbra area of Thane district, collapsed after midnight when the residents were fast asleep, police said.
Children, including a two-month-old girl, were among those killed in the mishap.
Police rushed to the site at around 2.30 AM and launched relief and rescue operations on a massive scale even as more people were feared trapped in the debris of the building.
The injured, including those seriously hurt in the incident, have been admitted to Kalsekar Hospital, CSMH and Civil Hospital in the city, they said.
Thane District Collector P Velrasu, Police Commissioner KP Raghuvanshi and acting Municipal Commissioner Shaymsunder Patil have gone to the spot while a fire brigade team has also been deployed for assistance.
Six of the deceased have been identified as -- Mahek Muddasar Punjabi (2 months), Mohamad Rehan Jilani Faruki (25), Usna (4), Abdul Karim Shaikh (30), Tasmiya Makdum Shaikh (3) and Shakir Abdul Karim Shaikh (6).
On June 10, a four-storey building collapsed at Mahim in Central Mumbai in which 10 people were killed and six injured.
Prior to this, a building crashed on April 04 at Shil-Phata near Mumbra in Thane district which claimed as many as 74 lives and left over 60 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader