Thane building collapse: TMC officials advised builder not to accept notice in his name
Thane: In a shocking revelation in Thane building collapse case, prosecution on Saturday told the court that municipal officials, who went to serve notice on builder Abdul Salim Aziz Siddiqui two days before the incident at Shil Phata here, allegedly advised him not to accept it in his name.
Seventy-four persons, including children and women, were killed when the 7-storey under-construction building, with no permissions whatsoever, crashed exactly one month ago.
Opposing the bail applications of the builder and other accused, prosecutor Hemlata Deshmukh told judge KR Warrier that Thane Municipal Corporation officials had gone to the site on April 2 to serve the notice.
However, they advised the builder not to accept the notice in his name. It was then accepted in the name of Adnan Shaikh, she said.
Investigation was on and some more arrests were expected, the prosecutor told the court.
Bail applications have been filed by builder Siddiqui, Deputy Municipal Commissioner Deepak Chavan, and a few others. A total of 22 persons have been arrested in the case.
Urging bail for Siddiqui, senior lawyer Majeed Memon argued that "intention" to kill could not be attributed to the accused.
He had no foreknowledge that the building will collapse and he himself lost six members of his family in the collapse, Memon argued.
As prosecution questioned this contention, court gave Siddiqui time till April 18 to file an affidavit to explain the exact relationship of the six victims with him.
According to the prosecution, the construction was so flawed that the seven-storey building had only two feet deep foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe