Thane building collapse toll over 50; two suspended
Thane: At least 56 people died in the collapse of the seven-storey illegal under-construction building with more bodies pulled out of the debris on Friday, a day after the mishap which led to the suspension of a deputy municipal commissioner and a senior police inspector.
Twenty-four hours after one of the worst building collapses in Maharashtra, there were some lucky survivors with 35-year-old Sunita Devi and three-year-old Ankit Yadav trapped under the mound of debris being rescued. Both were admitted to the Chatrapati Shivaji Civic Hospital at Kalwa, police said.
56 persons died in the mishap, Sandip Malvi, PRO Thane Municipal Corporation, said late tonight.
Earlier, police had said that 47 persons died in the mishap of whom 17 were children, 11 women and 19 men. Around 60 persons were also injured, police said.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan told reporters that the collapsed structure at Shil Phata in Daighar in Mumbra was illegal and it has to be found how it was allowed to exist.
Chavan earlier told the state assembly that the deputy municipal commissioner concerned and senior police inspector have been suspended and that an additional chief secretary level probe has been ordered.
"Anybody found in dereliction of duty will be punished," he said.
The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), pressed into service to assist the local police and civic administration, had earlier rescued 59 persons.
Heartbreaking tales like a male survivor losing 13 of his family members unfolded, as rescuers armed with sensor-fitted equipment still looked for survivors and bodies in the debris of bricks, mortar and twisted steel, a day after the collapse at Shil Phata in Daighar in Mumbra.
The injured have been admitted to hospitals in Thane, Kalwa and Mumbra and the seriously injured were shifted to JJ and Sion Hospitals in Mumbai.
A case has been registered against builders Salil and Khalil Jamadar under Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of IPC, Thane Commissioner of Police K P Raghuvanshi said, adding the two were absconding.
Alok Awasthi, Commandant of the NDRF, did not rule out some more survivors being trapped under the debris.
Awasthi said though he was not an engineer, the poor quality of construction was primarily responsible for the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp