Thane crime branch officer held for accepting bribe
Thane: A police officer of the Thane Crime Branch was caught red-handed while allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs one lakh from a complainant, an ACB official said today.
Assistant police inspector Rajeev Shejwal had demanded Rs three lakh from mandap contractor Kailash Awghade of Panchpakhadi area for not registering a cheating case against him for duping people under the pretext of giving jobs, Thane ACB`s official spokesman said.
The bribe amount was later settled at Rs one lakh after a bargain.
On Monday, the contractor complained about the police officer to the Anti-Corruption Bureau following which they laid a trap and caught him at a hotel last evening while he was allegedly accepting the bribe.
Shejwal was subsequently arrested and has been booked under relevant sections of Prevention of Corruption Act, the ACB said.
Further investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore