Thane crime branch officer held for accepting bribe
Thane: A police officer of the Thane Crime Branch was caught red-handed while allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs one lakh from a complainant, an ACB official said today.
Assistant police inspector Rajeev Shejwal had demanded Rs three lakh from mandap contractor Kailash Awghade of Panchpakhadi area for not registering a cheating case against him for duping people under the pretext of giving jobs, Thane ACB`s official spokesman said.
The bribe amount was later settled at Rs one lakh after a bargain.
On Monday, the contractor complained about the police officer to the Anti-Corruption Bureau following which they laid a trap and caught him at a hotel last evening while he was allegedly accepting the bribe.
Shejwal was subsequently arrested and has been booked under relevant sections of Prevention of Corruption Act, the ACB said.
Further investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days