Thane crime branch officer held for accepting bribe
Thane: A police officer of the Thane Crime Branch was caught red-handed while allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs one lakh from a complainant, an ACB official said today.
Assistant police inspector Rajeev Shejwal had demanded Rs three lakh from mandap contractor Kailash Awghade of Panchpakhadi area for not registering a cheating case against him for duping people under the pretext of giving jobs, Thane ACB`s official spokesman said.
The bribe amount was later settled at Rs one lakh after a bargain.
On Monday, the contractor complained about the police officer to the Anti-Corruption Bureau following which they laid a trap and caught him at a hotel last evening while he was allegedly accepting the bribe.
Shejwal was subsequently arrested and has been booked under relevant sections of Prevention of Corruption Act, the ACB said.
Further investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- India to test sub-scale demonstrator scramjet engine in 2016
- PSBs capital needs significantly higher than budgeted: Moody's
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar's daughter in trauma after BSP workers abuse her
- Samsung hits back at China's Huawei with patent suit
- India ranks 110th on Sustainable Development index