Thane crime branch officer held for accepting bribe
Thane: A police officer of the Thane Crime Branch was caught red-handed while allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs one lakh from a complainant, an ACB official said today.
Assistant police inspector Rajeev Shejwal had demanded Rs three lakh from mandap contractor Kailash Awghade of Panchpakhadi area for not registering a cheating case against him for duping people under the pretext of giving jobs, Thane ACB`s official spokesman said.
The bribe amount was later settled at Rs one lakh after a bargain.
On Monday, the contractor complained about the police officer to the Anti-Corruption Bureau following which they laid a trap and caught him at a hotel last evening while he was allegedly accepting the bribe.
Shejwal was subsequently arrested and has been booked under relevant sections of Prevention of Corruption Act, the ACB said.
Further investigation was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli