Thane encroachments: State plans total removal by May 2011
Mumbai: The Maharshtra Government today
told the Bombay High Court that it plans to demolish all the
illegal structures in neighbouring Thane by May next year.
The division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and
Justice S C Dharmadhirai was hearing PIL filed by Harit Vasai
By government`s own estimate, there are some 4,95,000
unauthorised structures in the district.
At an earlier hearing, court had sought a timetable
In an affidavit filed today, state chief secretary J N
Dange has stated that demolition of commercial structures
would be over by September 30, but action against residential
structures would be started only in October, after the
Though not mentioned in the affidavit, the government
pleader told the High Court that entire drive is expected to
be over by May next year.
Interestingly, the affidavit says that state`s
proposal to regularise slums which have been in existence
since before January 2000 is pending as a case in this regard
is before the Supreme Court.
Already, state has regularised slums prior to 1995.
Under the circumstances, the affidavit has sought more
time from High Court with respect to pre-2000 slums.
The court did not pass any order today, but has sought
progress report on demolition issue in three weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door