Thane farmers seek return of land given to NMM
Thane: Hundreds of farmers from the district held demonstration at the district collectorate office demanding return of their land given to National Machinery Manufacturers Ltd to set up its unit.
Farmers under the banner of `Sangharsh Kruti Seva Samiti` participated in a sit-in agitation yesterday demanding return of their lands as the project at the site failed to take off.
A memorandum listing various demands was handed over to Collector P Velrasu.
`Sangharsh Kruti Seva Samiti` leader Dashrath Patil said the NMM had surrendered 65 acres of 225 acres of total land to the state government which has returned 11 acres to a housing society.
"Of the 64 acres of land available with it, the government return us 30 acres and the rest can be utilised for rehabilitating slum-dwellers," he said.
Patil said Mafatlals who took over NMM has 125 acres of company land in their possession which they can sell out to compensate workers.
Freedom fighter Datta Tamhane also participated in the agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'