Thane farmers seek return of land given to NMM
Thane: Hundreds of farmers from the district held demonstration at the district collectorate office demanding return of their land given to National Machinery Manufacturers Ltd to set up its unit.
Farmers under the banner of `Sangharsh Kruti Seva Samiti` participated in a sit-in agitation yesterday demanding return of their lands as the project at the site failed to take off.
A memorandum listing various demands was handed over to Collector P Velrasu.
`Sangharsh Kruti Seva Samiti` leader Dashrath Patil said the NMM had surrendered 65 acres of 225 acres of total land to the state government which has returned 11 acres to a housing society.
"Of the 64 acres of land available with it, the government return us 30 acres and the rest can be utilised for rehabilitating slum-dwellers," he said.
Patil said Mafatlals who took over NMM has 125 acres of company land in their possession which they can sell out to compensate workers.
Freedom fighter Datta Tamhane also participated in the agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!