Thane farmers seek return of land given to NMM
Thane: Hundreds of farmers from the district held demonstration at the district collectorate office demanding return of their land given to National Machinery Manufacturers Ltd to set up its unit.
Farmers under the banner of `Sangharsh Kruti Seva Samiti` participated in a sit-in agitation yesterday demanding return of their lands as the project at the site failed to take off.
A memorandum listing various demands was handed over to Collector P Velrasu.
`Sangharsh Kruti Seva Samiti` leader Dashrath Patil said the NMM had surrendered 65 acres of 225 acres of total land to the state government which has returned 11 acres to a housing society.
"Of the 64 acres of land available with it, the government return us 30 acres and the rest can be utilised for rehabilitating slum-dwellers," he said.
Patil said Mafatlals who took over NMM has 125 acres of company land in their possession which they can sell out to compensate workers.
Freedom fighter Datta Tamhane also participated in the agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs