Thane police arrest ex-corporator for receiving money to shield illegal structure
Thane: BJP leader and former corporator of Bhiwandi-Nizampur Municipal Corporation has been arrested by the Anti-Extortion Cell (AEC) of Thane police, for allegedly demanding Rs two lakh from a builder, to let him construct an additional floor in a illegal structure.
Siddeshwar Kammurti was arrested from his residence in Bhiwandi after he demanded the sum from builder Kaimuddin Isamuddin Shaikh, for allowing him to construct a fourth floor in a three-storeyed building, AEC inspector DB Patil told a news agency on Friday.
After due deliberations it was decided that an amount of Rs 70,000 would be paid to the leader for protection of the unauthorised construction, Patil said.
Accordingly, a sum of Rs 20,000 was paid to the leader on March 02, and again another Rs 25,000 was paid on April 08.
However, Kammurti and his accomplice Gulam Ansari started pestering the builder for the balance amount and threatened him.
The annoyed builder lodged a complaint with the Anti Extortion Cell of Thane police which laid a trap at Kammurti`s house on Wednesday and trapped him accepting Rs 25,000 cash from the builder.
Police also arrested Ansari and both were produced before the local magistrate who remanded them in police custody till April 23.
The duo has been charged under Section 384 of the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?