Thane police arrest ex-corporator for receiving money to shield illegal structure
Thane: BJP leader and former corporator of Bhiwandi-Nizampur Municipal Corporation has been arrested by the Anti-Extortion Cell (AEC) of Thane police, for allegedly demanding Rs two lakh from a builder, to let him construct an additional floor in a illegal structure.
Siddeshwar Kammurti was arrested from his residence in Bhiwandi after he demanded the sum from builder Kaimuddin Isamuddin Shaikh, for allowing him to construct a fourth floor in a three-storeyed building, AEC inspector DB Patil told a news agency on Friday.
After due deliberations it was decided that an amount of Rs 70,000 would be paid to the leader for protection of the unauthorised construction, Patil said.
Accordingly, a sum of Rs 20,000 was paid to the leader on March 02, and again another Rs 25,000 was paid on April 08.
However, Kammurti and his accomplice Gulam Ansari started pestering the builder for the balance amount and threatened him.
The annoyed builder lodged a complaint with the Anti Extortion Cell of Thane police which laid a trap at Kammurti`s house on Wednesday and trapped him accepting Rs 25,000 cash from the builder.
Police also arrested Ansari and both were produced before the local magistrate who remanded them in police custody till April 23.
The duo has been charged under Section 384 of the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir