Thane police chief asks women to carry chilli powder
Thane: Against the backdrop of rising attacks on women, Thane Police Commissioner K P Raghuvanshi has asked them to carry chilli powder for self-defence.
"Women should keep with them a packet of chilli powder and make use of it if attacked by anti-social elements," the police chief said while addressing a gathering of women students of local colleges at Dombivali yesterday
Raghuvanshi`s remarks came in the backdrop of rising number of attacks on women in the city, the latest being a murder of a 19-year-old youth allegedly over eve-teasing of a girl by four youths including minors.
"The women have had enough. It`s time for them to act now. The women should learn self-defence and in case if anyone is seen to be misbehaving be it a known or unknown person they should inform the elders about the same," he added.
Raghuvanshi said the women should not let themselves overcome with shame in case they fall prey to any crime against them.
On security scene in Dombivali, he said more than 100 police personnel have been deployed to keep under check the crime against women. "Beat marshals are provided with modern communication devices for the purpose," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions