‘There won`t be regional imbalance in development works’
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan today assured the assembly that his government would
strive to ensure that there is no regional imbalance in
development works and maximum financial assistance is provided
to all drought prone areas of the state.
Making a statement in the lower House, Chavan said that
his endeavour will be to get maximum Central funds. "We have
submitted an annual plan of Rs 33,000 crore for clearance and
besides that we are pursuing for additional funds from the
Centre," he said.
Earlier, raising a point of order, PWP member
Ganpatrao Deshmukh said drought prone areas especially in
Western Maharashtra are not getting priority as development
funds are moved to Vidarbha and other regions under the
statutory development boards.
This was countered by Devendra Phadanvis (BJP) saying
that regions like Vidarbha do not wish that drought prone
areas of Western Maharashtra be neglected but at the same time
the backlog of backward regions of Vidarbha also has to
be?removed. The arguments and counter arguments resulted in
After the House re-assembled, Chavan sought to assuage
the feelings of the members and said his government would
ensure that there is no regional imbalance in development
works and all drought prone areas get maximum help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued