‘There won`t be regional imbalance in development works’
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan today assured the assembly that his government would
strive to ensure that there is no regional imbalance in
development works and maximum financial assistance is provided
to all drought prone areas of the state.
Making a statement in the lower House, Chavan said that
his endeavour will be to get maximum Central funds. "We have
submitted an annual plan of Rs 33,000 crore for clearance and
besides that we are pursuing for additional funds from the
Centre," he said.
Earlier, raising a point of order, PWP member
Ganpatrao Deshmukh said drought prone areas especially in
Western Maharashtra are not getting priority as development
funds are moved to Vidarbha and other regions under the
statutory development boards.
This was countered by Devendra Phadanvis (BJP) saying
that regions like Vidarbha do not wish that drought prone
areas of Western Maharashtra be neglected but at the same time
the backlog of backward regions of Vidarbha also has to
be?removed. The arguments and counter arguments resulted in
After the House re-assembled, Chavan sought to assuage
the feelings of the members and said his government would
ensure that there is no regional imbalance in development
works and all drought prone areas get maximum help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Xiaomi Redmi 4, Redmi Note 4 likely to be launched on Thursday
- Cabinet raises compensation for terror, blast victims
- Present ICC ranking system is not satisfactory: Javed Miandad
- Doctors say bill is 'black day' for surrogacy, will spawn corruption
- Naqvi launches websites for Ministry of Minority Affairs