Thought Raj will carry forward my cartoonist legacy: Thackeray
Mumbai: Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray on Monday said he thought nephew Raj Thackeray would carry forward his legacy as a cartoonist.
Asked why no one could inherit his legacy as a cartoonist, Thackeray said, "Who will take it forward? I thought Raja (his pet name for nephew Raj Thackeray) will carry it forward."
Thackeray expressed these sentiments in the last part of his marathon interview, published in party mouthpiece "Saamana" here today.
Among the faces which could be called a cartoonist`s delight are Sonia Gandhi, Manmohan Singh, Rahul Gandhi, Prithviraj Chavan, Sharad Pawar and LK Advani, Thackeray said.
The 86-year old Sena chief`s son Uddhav, who is party executive president, is an avid photographer and is compiling a book on his cartoons.
Taking a swipe at media, Thackeray said, "Editors have become saleable and have become "chamchas" (sycophants) of political parties, which can be seen from their writing."
On his not occupying any post in government, Thackeray said, "I stayed out of power. I could have become anything. I could have been part of the ministries in Maharashtra and Delhi. I stayed away from the chair (seat of power). That is my asset."
Asked what message he wanted to convey to his followers, Thackeray said, "keep the loyalties intact. Do you change your parents? Then don`t change your party."
Referring to the August 11 violence at Azad Maidan, the Sena chief said, "If Islam is to be countered, Hindus will have to unite."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video