Three held for threatening housing society Secy in Mumbai
Mumbai: A former NCP activist and a
suspected gangster`s wife have been arrested for allegedly
threatening a housing society`s secretary in the name of
underworld don Chhota Rajan, police said.
The accused identified as Joseph Paul Palitra, former NCP
worker, and gangster Sadhu Shetty`s wife Prema have been
arrested last night and were remanded to police custody till
February 24. Another builder accused Jatin Mehta is still
absconding, police said.
Sadhu Shetty, who was killed in a gang war in 2002, was
suspected to be member of the Rajan gang, they said.
According to the police, the victim Niyamat Sayyed Shaikh
(35), who is the secretary of Marathwada Co-operative society,
was approached by the trio in August 2008 as his society was
shortlisted for redevelopment by the government under Slum
Rehabilitation Authority (SRA) scheme.
"Builder Mehta wanted the contract to redevelop the plot
under the SRA scheme for which he needed the consent of Shaikh
and his society members," Vilas Shinde, inspector of Tilak
Nagar police station said.
Since 2008, the three were after Shaikh, inspector Shinde
said adding recently the victim was even made to speak to
Chhota Rajan over the phone, who threatened Shaikh to do what
was told to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway