Three SBI officials held for NRI accounts scam
Nagpur: The CBI has arrested three State Bank of India (SBI) officers for their alleged involvement in siphoning off money to the tune of Rs 1.35 crore from the Non-Resident Indian (NRI) accounts, sources said Thursday.
The accused including alleged mastermind and in-charge of NRI section of the main branch Anup Rajurkar, deputy manager Prakash Bhalkar and senior executive Mamata Motwani were apprehended yesterday for their alleged role in fraudulently withdrawing the money from the NRI accounts of the bank, they said.
Though the scam was unearthed two years back but after initially ignoring the fraud, the State Bank authorities lodged a formal complaint with CBI only in July last.
Rajurkar was placed under suspension by the SBI pending inquiry against him.
According to CBI sources, Rajurkar enjoyed a clout with a section of BJP leaders.
He allegedly used to provide fake receipt to the NRI bank account holders and transfer money to his own account and would later withdraw the same.
The fraud was committed between the period 2004 and 2011.
CBI yesterday produced the trio in a designated court here and obtained three-day police custodial remand (PCR), sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy