Three sisters raped, killed; bodies dumped in a well
Bhandara, Maharashtra: Even before India could come over the pain and anger caused by the horrific Delhi gang-rape incident, another shocker - three sisters raped, killed and their bodies were dumped in a well in Bhandara district of Maharashtra.
The numbing atrocity was committed on poor helpless girls aged 11, 8, and 6. They had gone missing on February 14 after they did not return home from school.
Two days later their bodies were found in a well near Murmadi village in Lakhani town of Bhandara district. The well is near a farmhouse and a dhaba, about half a kilometre from the village. Their tiny slippers were found next to empty liquor bottles.
Some reports suggest that the fatherless girls – mother works a domestic help and was away from home - driven by hunger had gone out to look for food and fell into a trap.
A news agency claimed that the autopsy reports suggest that the minor girls were subjected to unnatural sex.
The savagery meted out to the girls led to huge protests in the region with people taking to the streets to demand action against the culprits.
A manhunt has been launched against the unknown perpetrators. As per unconfirmed reports, two suspects have been detained; official confirmation is awaited.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said the incident was "extremely deplorable and painful".
"The incident is extremely deplorable and painful. I appeal to the people to maintain calm and cooperate with the law-enforcers," Chavan said in a statement.
Chavan also announced ex-gratia relief of Rs.10 lakh to the family of three minor sisters
Home Minister RR Patil had earlier announced the suspension of Prakash Munde, chief of the Lakhni police station, under whose jurisdiction the crime was committed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why