Three-year-old mowed down; Kamat`s kin `wasn`t drunk`, gets bail
Mumbai: A day after a three-year-old girl was run over by former corporator’s son, the police on Tuesday said that the 19-year-old was not drunk and he was not speeding.
Raunak, son of Sameer Desai and grandnephew of MP Gurudas Kamat, was returning from his gym in Jawahar Nagar to his home in Rustomjee Ozone in Link Road, Goregaon (West) on Monday.
He was driving his Hyundai Verna, which his father had gifted him on his birthday six months ago.
Around 9 pm when he was driving on a narrow and crowded lane of Prem Nagar, the car hit Lado Gupta, who was crossing the road with her six-year-old sister Shalu.
They were going towards the store opposite their house when the car hit her from behind.
“The elder one was walking ahead. But Lado got crushed under the wheels.
Raunak realised it after the locals started screaming. He immediately took the girl and her parents to hospital,” said Arun Jadhav, senior police inspector of Goregaon police station.
The girl was taken to a local hospital and then shifted to Siddharth Hospital where she was declared dead on arrival.
“Raunak drove the girl’s parents back to their house. There were no trace of alcohol in him and the car was not speeding,” added Jadhav.
Four hours after the accident around midnight, Sameer Desai brought Raunak, a hotel management student, to the police station. He has been booked under Section 304 A (culpable homicide) and 279 (rash driving). He was granted bail on Tuesday.
The girl’s father Dashrat has a vegetable store next to his house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference