Three-yr-old girl burnt alive by drunken father
Mumbai: A three-year-old-girl was burnt alive allegedly by her drunk father in Kherwadi village of suburban Malwani, police said on Thursday.
The accused Veerappan Kaunder (37), who works as a conservation worker with the city`s civic body on a contract basis, allegedly poured kerosene on his daughter Shiv Shankari and five-year-old son Shabari last night after, which he set the girl on fire, they said, adding that the boy managed to run out of the house.
The victim was admitted to the civic-run KEM hospital last night but died, while undergoing treatment, they said.
The accused Veerappan was arrested today, on the charges of murder, said A R A Shaikh, senior inspector at Malwani police station.
According to police, Veerappan often used to argue with his wife as he suspected her of having an extra marital affair. On Monday, Veerappan argued with his wife on the same issue after, which she left the house, leaving behind the two children.
Upset with this, Veerappan used to come home after getting drunk, police said.
Last night, while his two children were at home, Veerappan, who was in an inebriated state, in a fit of rage doused them with kerosene, they said.
Scared of his father`s acts, the boy ran out of the house but the accused torched his daughter, who sustained severe burn injuries, police said.
The neighbours, who gathered hearing the commotion rushed the girl to a nearby private hospital and shifted to the KEM hospital later, where she succumbed to her burn injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video