Tight security at Shivaji Park for Ambedkar`s death anniversary
Mumbai: Extensive security arrangements have been made in and around Shivaji Park ground in central Mumbai as lakhs of followers of Dr B R Ambedkar are expected to converge to pay homage to him on his 55th death anniversary tomorrow, police said on Wednesday.
As an "unauthorised" make-shift memorial of late Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray was built at the sprawling Shivaji Park ground and 20th anniversary of Babri Masjid demolition is also observed tomorrow, police have put in place tight security arrangements to prevent any untoward incidents.
People have already begun descending to the city and many stood in long queues on the road leading to `Chaitya Bhoomi`, where Ambedkar was cremated in 1956. The memorial is located near the Shivaji Park ground.
Under the supervision of an Additional Police Commissioner, three Deputy Police Commissioners and 12,000 policemen will maintain strict vigil, police said.
Quick Response Teams (QRT), State Reserve Police Force (SRPF) and Riot Control Police (RCP) have also been deployed while the area was sanitised, Joint Police Commissioner (Law and Order) Sadanand Date said.
City Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh also held a meeting yesterday with the in-charges of 96 police stations where he elaborated the security measures needed to be taken tomorrow, Date said, adding that required traffic arrangements were also made.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what