Tight security for Pak prisoners in Maharashtra ja
Mumbai: Following the brutal assault on Indian national Sarabjit Singh in a Pakistan jail, security of neighbouring country`s prisoners in Maharashtra jails has been tightened, a senior police official said.
Additional Director General of Police (prisons) Meera Borwankar told PTI that the security of Pakistani prisoners in Maharashtra jails has been beefed up following the Sarabjit Singh incident.
However, Borwankar did not elaborate the security measures taken to avoid such incidents in the state jails.
There are at least five Pakistani prisoners in Nashik and Aurangabad jails in the state, said another police officer.
The Union Home Ministry had given instructions following which the security of Pakistani prisoners has been increased as a precautionary measure, police added.
Special attention was also being given to the bomb blasts accused lodged in various jails in the state, police said.
Sarabjit, 49, sustained several injuries, including a skull fracture, when six prisoners attacked him in Kot Lakhpat Jail on last Friday. He was hit on the head with bricks and his neck and torso cut with sharp objects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch