Tillari project affected people to get Rs 5 lakh compensation
Mumbai: People affected by the inter-state Tillari irrigation project in Sindhudurg district would get one-time cash compensation of Rs 5 lakh each instead of jobs.
The decision was taken during a meeting attended by Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar this evening, Maharashtra state government officials said.
The money would be deposited in bank accounts of the project-affected people, they said.
Officials said the decision was taken since the Tillari project was considered a special case.
Earlier, cash compensation had been fixed at Rs 3 lakh each, but a decision was taken to increase it during today`s meeting.
Maharashtra`s share would be 26.7 percent, while the Goa government would contribute 73.3 percent share of the compensation, officials said.
Both governments would deposit the amount in bank accounts of the Tillaru project affected people after the Sindhudurg district collector approved the list of such project affected people, officials said.
There are 1,110 project-affected people, out of which 163 people have been given jobs, while 947 people would get the cash compensation, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened