Tillari project affected people to get Rs 5 lakh compensation
Mumbai: People affected by the inter-state Tillari irrigation project in Sindhudurg district would get one-time cash compensation of Rs 5 lakh each instead of jobs.
The decision was taken during a meeting attended by Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar this evening, Maharashtra state government officials said.
The money would be deposited in bank accounts of the project-affected people, they said.
Officials said the decision was taken since the Tillari project was considered a special case.
Earlier, cash compensation had been fixed at Rs 3 lakh each, but a decision was taken to increase it during today`s meeting.
Maharashtra`s share would be 26.7 percent, while the Goa government would contribute 73.3 percent share of the compensation, officials said.
Both governments would deposit the amount in bank accounts of the Tillaru project affected people after the Sindhudurg district collector approved the list of such project affected people, officials said.
There are 1,110 project-affected people, out of which 163 people have been given jobs, while 947 people would get the cash compensation, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad