Toll plaza ransacked by tribal villagers in Thane
Thane: A modern toll plaza inaugurated last year at Talasari near here was ransacked by an irate mob, which also looted cash, rural police said on Friday.
The mob, consisting of local tribal villagers, attacked the plaza located on the busy Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway last night, they said.
Inspector Sunil Gaonkar of Talasari Police Station said the locals had been demanding jobs at the toll collection centre since long.
As the plaza operator could not fulfil their demands they gathered in a group and vandalised the premises. The mob looted Rs 20,000 in cash and damaged computers and other equipment, he said.
Police have arrested eight to ten villagers on rioting and other charges, Gaonkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested