Toll plaza ransacked by tribal villagers in Thane
Thane: A modern toll plaza inaugurated last year at Talasari near here was ransacked by an irate mob, which also looted cash, rural police said on Friday.
The mob, consisting of local tribal villagers, attacked the plaza located on the busy Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway last night, they said.
Inspector Sunil Gaonkar of Talasari Police Station said the locals had been demanding jobs at the toll collection centre since long.
As the plaza operator could not fulfil their demands they gathered in a group and vandalised the premises. The mob looted Rs 20,000 in cash and damaged computers and other equipment, he said.
Police have arrested eight to ten villagers on rioting and other charges, Gaonkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!