Toll plaza ransacked by tribal villagers in Thane
Thane: A modern toll plaza inaugurated last year at Talasari near here was ransacked by an irate mob, which also looted cash, rural police said on Friday.
The mob, consisting of local tribal villagers, attacked the plaza located on the busy Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway last night, they said.
Inspector Sunil Gaonkar of Talasari Police Station said the locals had been demanding jobs at the toll collection centre since long.
As the plaza operator could not fulfil their demands they gathered in a group and vandalised the premises. The mob looted Rs 20,000 in cash and damaged computers and other equipment, he said.
Police have arrested eight to ten villagers on rioting and other charges, Gaonkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- LIVE: Pakistan's nuclear weapons may fall into hands of jihadists, fears Hillary Clinton
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’