Toll plaza ransacked by tribal villagers in Thane
Thane: A modern toll plaza inaugurated last year at Talasari near here was ransacked by an irate mob, which also looted cash, rural police said on Friday.
The mob, consisting of local tribal villagers, attacked the plaza located on the busy Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway last night, they said.
Inspector Sunil Gaonkar of Talasari Police Station said the locals had been demanding jobs at the toll collection centre since long.
As the plaza operator could not fulfil their demands they gathered in a group and vandalised the premises. The mob looted Rs 20,000 in cash and damaged computers and other equipment, he said.
Police have arrested eight to ten villagers on rioting and other charges, Gaonkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UK's exit from EU: India prepared for all eventualities, says Shaktikanta Das
- Britain exits European Union, first country to leave 28-nation bloc
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Impact of Brexit on Mahindra Group will be muted: CFO
- Donald Trump says Britons ''took back control of their country'
- Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan laud Shekhar Kapur's daughter's soul-stirring debut song – Watch
- China mounts rescue efforts as tornado toll hits 98
- Bollywood smitten with Harshvardhan Kapoor's theatrics in Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's 'Mirzya' trailer!-- See tweets