Top Maoist `Asanna` from Andhra Pradesh enters Gadchiroli
Gadchiroli: A top Maoist, who was allegedly involved in a number of attacks on political leaders, including former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu, has entered Gadchiroli, police said on Tuesday.
The Maoist Thakkalpalli Vasudeorao, alias `Asanna` alias `Satish` alias `Vasu` alias `Sujit` (46), who carries a reward of Rs 25 lakh on his head, is alleged to be involved in murderous attacks on various top police officials and VIPs in Andhra Pradesh, Superintendent of Police Mohammed Suvez Haque told reporters today.
`Asanna` is a member of Communist Party of India (Maoist) Central Military Commission and its Dandakaranya Special Zonal Committee.
`Asanna` was allegedly involved in the attack on former Chandrababu Naidu near Tirupati in 2003, the murder of Andhra DIG Vyas near Lal Bahadur Stadium, killing of Karimnagar SP Umesh Chandra and also murder of Atmapur MLA Vengal Reddy. A reward of Rs 25 lakhs has been declared on his head by the police.
The Gadchiroli police also declared a prize of Rs 1 lakh to those informing his whereabouts and promised to keep the name of the informer secret.
The Gadchiroli police have also published pamphlets carrying his picture and circulated them in the district. He is now believed to be active in Gadchiroli and Gondia areas, the police said.
Meanwhile, Maoists set off a powerful blast near Heti village in Dhanora taluka of the district just 200 metres away from Dhanora police station this afternoon when the police were organising a three-day public awareness camp.
Hearing the sound of the blast, the police rushed to the spot but on seeing the police arriving, the Maoists ran away into the nearby forest. However, there was no any injury to anybody in this incident, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- South Africa vs New Zealand: 1st Test drawn as sodden outfield prevails at Kingsmead
- Gold smuggling: Government loses over $1 billion in revenue
- Govt rejects Infosys proposal to set up IT SEZ in West Bengal
- Urjit Patel as new RBI head to ensure continuity: Mundra
- Manipur tribals to observe unity day on Aug 31