Toxic fume kills woman in Thane

A 75-year-old woman suffocated to death and a man fell sick after inhaling toxic fumes that leaked out of a chemical tank near here Saturday.

Updated: Sep 01, 2012, 13:41 PM IST

Thane (Maharashtra): A 75-year-old woman suffocated to death and a man fell sick after inhaling toxic fumes that leaked out of a chemical tank near here Saturday, police said.

The incident took place around 1.15 am near the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) II complex in Dombivli town of Thane, said KV Chougule, an investigating officer.

"Around 1.15 am today (Saturday), 44-year old Jawahar suddenly felt giddy and breathless and he trudged down to a nearby hospital for treatment," Chougule said.

"When he (Jawahar) returned this morning around 8 a.m., he found Prema Shaikh, lying dead. At least two stray dogs in the vicinity were also found dead," Chougule told a news agency.

The duo, who were rag-pickers, lived in a small hut adjacent to the chemical waste storage tank, and there were no other settlements nearby, he added.

The chemical wastes from around half-a-dozen factories in the vicinity used to be stored in the tank before being disposed off after treatment.

Early morning toxic fumes leaked from the tank. The entire area has been cordoned off, Chougule said.

Dombivli is an industrial township in north Thane district, around 50 km from Mumbai.

IANS