Traders should open shops for the sake of people: Raj Thackeray
Mumbai: Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray today appealed to the traders, who have been protesting against imposition of Local Bodies Tax (LBT), to open their shops so that common people do not suffer.
"Traders` fight is with the government. People should not get affected by it," Raj told a delegation of traders, who met him at his residence.
"Traders should open their shops for the sake of people. They should give an ultimatum to the government," he added.
Yesterday, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had said that the state government was firm on implementing the LBT and would not backtrack from it even as the traders` bodies continued to oppose the new levy.
Chavan had alleged that handful of people were misleading the businessmen on the newly introduced tax.
The LBT came into effect in Nagpur, Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad and Thane on April 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US