Train blasts accused seek examination of witnesses in IM case

Last Updated: Sunday, September 9, 2012 - 12:11

Mumbai: The 13 accused arrested in the July 2006 serial train blasts have moved the Bombay High Court after the special MCOCA court rejected their applications to examine some witnesses from another terror case.

"We had moved the special court seeking to examine three deputy commissioners of police who recorded the confessional statement of the accused in another case involving Indian Mujahideen, but the court rejected our application," said defence lawyer Abdul Wahab Khan.

Khan further said that they wanted to examine the three DCPs because they had recorded the confessional statement of the three out of the 21 arrested members of the IM outfit, who had said that IM was responsible for carrying out blasts since 2005.

The special court rejected their application saying that this will prejudice other terror (IM) case, Khan said.

Their other two applications filed were also rejected by the special court, he said, adding that "we have filed three appeals in the Bombay High Court”.

The High Court is likely to hear the appeals, filed last week, on September 14.

Seven RDX bombs kept in the first class coaches of Mumbai`s suburban trains had exploded on July 11, 2006, killing 188 people and injuring 817 others.

The blasts occurred in trains between Khar road- Santacruz, Bandra-Khar road, Jogeshwari-Mahim junction, Mira Road-Bhayander, Matunga-Mahim junction and at Borivili station.

In the case, 13 accused were arrested by Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS), while Azam Chima along with 14 others are absconding.

The examination of witnesses resumed after a span of two years as the Supreme Court had stayed the trial in 2008.

Before the stay, the prosecution had already examined a police officer. The apex court vacated the stay on April 23, 2010.

PTI



First Published: Sunday, September 9, 2012 - 12:11

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus