Trial court adjourns Adarsh hearing, awaits HC ruling
Mumbai: The Special CBI court on Thursday adjourned the hearing for `taking cognisance` of charge sheet in the Adarsh Society case, saying that it would be necessary to await Bombay High Court`s ruling on the issue of CBI`s jurisdiction.
"The court observed that it would be appropriate to wait for the High Court`s order to maintain judicial discipline," said special public prosecutor Ejaz Khan.
The High Court is hearing two public interest litigations seeking judicial supervision of the Adarsh probe. However, both Adarsh Society and Maharashtra government, in applications before the HC, have objected to CBI probe, because neither the court nor the State had asked for investigation by the central agency.
The HC is yet to decide the issue.
Khan today argued that HC had not barred the trial court from taking cognisance of the charge sheet, a step that precedes the trial.
But the trial court decided to adjourn the case till September 17.
On July 4, CBI filed a 10,000-page charge sheet against 13 persons, including former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan. The central agency had taken up the probe in November 2010, following a direction from the Ministry of Defence.
Adarsh Society is accused of encroachment on land belonging to Defence Ministry, and violation of civic and environmental laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi