Trial court adjourns Adarsh hearing, awaits HC ruling
Mumbai: The Special CBI court on Thursday adjourned the hearing for `taking cognisance` of charge sheet in the Adarsh Society case, saying that it would be necessary to await Bombay High Court`s ruling on the issue of CBI`s jurisdiction.
"The court observed that it would be appropriate to wait for the High Court`s order to maintain judicial discipline," said special public prosecutor Ejaz Khan.
The High Court is hearing two public interest litigations seeking judicial supervision of the Adarsh probe. However, both Adarsh Society and Maharashtra government, in applications before the HC, have objected to CBI probe, because neither the court nor the State had asked for investigation by the central agency.
The HC is yet to decide the issue.
Khan today argued that HC had not barred the trial court from taking cognisance of the charge sheet, a step that precedes the trial.
But the trial court decided to adjourn the case till September 17.
On July 4, CBI filed a 10,000-page charge sheet against 13 persons, including former Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan. The central agency had taken up the probe in November 2010, following a direction from the Ministry of Defence.
Adarsh Society is accused of encroachment on land belonging to Defence Ministry, and violation of civic and environmental laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm