Trial in Mumbai serial train blasts still on
Mumbai: Seven years after the Mumbai serial train blasts in which nearly 200 people were killed and over 700 injured, the trial in the case is still going on with the special MCOCA court recording statements of the accused.
"The court is now recording the statement of the accused who wanted to depose as defence witness in the case," said advocate Sherif Sheikh, appearing for some of the accused in the case.
Sheikh said they propose to examine some more defence witnesses in the case.
Special MCOCA judge YD Shinde has till now recorded the statement of about 180 prosecution witnesses.
The statements of witnesses has been recorded in over 2,400 pages.
The prosecution and defence have also submitted over 700 exhibits to the court to substantiate their claim. While about 40 defence witnesses have deposed in the court including four accused, the court is now recording the statement of fifth accused.
During the trial, the court also recorded the statements of three accused - alleged co-founder of terror group Indian Mujahideen Sadiq Sheikh, Arif Badruddin and Ansar Ahmed - arrested in 2008 for their alleged role in various blasts across the country during that year.
The defence lawyers had called as witnesses as they had in their confession statement stated that it was IM which was responsible for carrying out blasts since 2005.
Seven RDX bombs kept in the first class coaches of Mumbai`s suburban trains had exploded on July 11, 2006, killing about 188 people and injuring 817 others.
The blasts had occurred in suburban trains between Khar road-Santacruz, Bandra-Khar road, Jogeshwari-Mahim junction, Mira Road-Bhayander, Matunga-Mahim Junction and at Borivali.
Kamal Ahamed Ansari (37), Tanvir Ahmed Ansari (37), Mohd Faisal Shaikh (36), Ehtesham Siddiqui (30), Mohammad Majid Shafi (32), Shaikh Alam Shaikh (41), Mohd Sajid Ansari (34), Abdul Wahid Shaikh (34), Muzzammil Shaikh (27), Soheil Mehmood Shaikh (43), Zamir Ahmad Shaikh (36), Naveed Hussain Khan (30), Asif Khan (38) had been arrested by the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS).
Key accused Azam Chima along with 14 others are absconding in the case.
The examination of witnesses resumed after a span of two years as the Supreme Court had stayed the trial in 2008.
Before the stay, the prosecution had already examined a police officer.
The apex court vacated the stay on April 23, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India