Trial in Nashik MPA attack conspiracy case begins
Nashik: The trial in the 2010 conspiracy case to attack Maharashtra Police Academy (MPA) here allegedly by LeT operatives Bilal Shaikh alias Lalbaba and Himayat Baig began in the local court on Wednesday.
Bilal Shaikh and Himayat Baig, an accused in German Bakery blast, had undertaken a recce of Nashik`s Maharashtra Police Academy and Devlali cantonment area, for planning an attack in 2010, according to ATS.
Baig and 26/11 handler Abu Jundal were also allegedly involved in the conspiracy to attack the training centre.
Pune ATS Inspector Sukhlal Varpe deposed as a witness before the additional sessions court judge K K Tantrapale today, special public prosecutor Ajay Misar said.
According to ATS, Bilal Shaikh was arrested by the ATS in 2010 from Nashik`s Satpur locality and 700 gms RDX, four detonators, a pen drive and a memory card were recovered from him. Baig was also arrested in 2010 for his alleged involvement in Pune`s German Bakery blast.
A chargesheet in this regard had been filed by the Pune ATS before the Nashik court.
According to ATS, Bilal had visited LeT camps in Pakistan between January 2008 and early 2010 where he received advanced training in use of sophisticated weapons and making bombs.
He had sneaked into India three times during the period through the porous Bangladesh and Nepal borders. Bilal conducted recce of the Army`s Deolali camp, Maharashtra Police Academy here and Police Commissionerate in Nashik since May 2010.
Bilal is also alleged to have provided logistical support to Baig, but the former has not been charged in the Pune blast that killed 17 persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand