Tribal kids undergo heart operation under NRHM
Thane: A total of 14 school children suffering from heart diseases were operated upon under the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) here, according to a report released by the district health department.
During April-December 2012, 4,39,935 students from as many as 3,423 schools in the district were checked for their health condition. Of these, 14 were found to be having heart related issues and were operated upon, the report said.
The target was to conduct health check-up of 6,54,915 students during the period and 4,39,935 have been checked so far.
During the last financial year, 6,30,687 students were checked under the programme out of whom 10 were found to be having heart diseases and were operated upon.
During 2010-11, a total of 35 and in 2009-2010, 53 students underwent heart operation under the programme, the report added.
The report, submitted to the Union Health Ministry, further stated that the cases of malnutrition among children had sharply reduced in the district to 129 in 2010-11.
The year wise figures were: 2005-06 (1,437); 2006-07 (647); 2007-08 (345); 2008-09 (220) and 2009-10 (134).
The report also said that of the total of 22,177 deliveries carried out in 2012-13, 20,992 were performed in hospitals and the rest at home.
A health department official said that the hospital deliveries could be stepped up after constantly persuading and educating the villagers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley