Tribal leaders from Jawhar seek transfer of project officer
Thane: Tribal leaders and activists from Jawhar in Thane district are up in arms against alleged "ill treatment" meted out to an activist by an official of Tribal Development Department.
The general secretary of Jawhar taluka `Adivasi Sangharsh Samiti` and local NCP leader Balwant Gavit has said that Project Officer, Sushil Khodwekar, also the SDO, Jawhar, abused tribal activist and former Sarpanch of Sakur village, Sampat Pawar on Friday when the latter sought assistance regarding Ashram schools in Zap and Sakur villages.
When the tribal activists tried to meet the officer on Saturday, he reportedly evaded a direct reply and took a shelter in a toilet fearing a backlash.
However, the officer apologised later in presence of additional district collector and DySP, Gavit said.
He said that the activists will intensify their stir unless Khodwekar is transferred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves