Tributes paid to Ambedkar on death anniversary
Mumbai: Rich tributes were paid on Monday to the Architect of Indian constitution Dr BR Ambedkar on his 54th death anniversary which is observed as `Mahaparinirvan Din`.
Lakhs of followers from all over the state converged at his memorial "Chaityabhoomi" at Shivaji Park in Central Mumbai to pay their respects to the Dalit icon.
Mumbai police has made elaborate security arrangements to ensure that the day passes off peacefully without any untoward incident.
City police chief Sanjeev Dayal personally supervised the security arrangements by visiting Shivaji Park and nearby areas.
Maharshtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan flew in from Nagpur to pay homage to Ambedkar at Chaityabhoomi. Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar also visited the memorial to pay homage.
At the State Secretariate, floral tributes were offered to the late leader while at Vidhan Bhavan, Legislative Assembly Speaker Dilip Walse-Patil paid tributes at the statue of Ambedkar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country