Tributes paid to Ambedkar on death anniversary
Mumbai: Rich tributes were paid on Monday to the Architect of Indian constitution Dr BR Ambedkar on his 54th death anniversary which is observed as `Mahaparinirvan Din`.
Lakhs of followers from all over the state converged at his memorial "Chaityabhoomi" at Shivaji Park in Central Mumbai to pay their respects to the Dalit icon.
Mumbai police has made elaborate security arrangements to ensure that the day passes off peacefully without any untoward incident.
City police chief Sanjeev Dayal personally supervised the security arrangements by visiting Shivaji Park and nearby areas.
Maharshtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan flew in from Nagpur to pay homage to Ambedkar at Chaityabhoomi. Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar also visited the memorial to pay homage.
At the State Secretariate, floral tributes were offered to the late leader while at Vidhan Bhavan, Legislative Assembly Speaker Dilip Walse-Patil paid tributes at the statue of Ambedkar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region