Tributes paid to Ambedkar on death anniversary
Mumbai: Rich tributes were paid on Monday to the Architect of Indian constitution Dr BR Ambedkar on his 54th death anniversary which is observed as `Mahaparinirvan Din`.
Lakhs of followers from all over the state converged at his memorial "Chaityabhoomi" at Shivaji Park in Central Mumbai to pay their respects to the Dalit icon.
Mumbai police has made elaborate security arrangements to ensure that the day passes off peacefully without any untoward incident.
City police chief Sanjeev Dayal personally supervised the security arrangements by visiting Shivaji Park and nearby areas.
Maharshtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan flew in from Nagpur to pay homage to Ambedkar at Chaityabhoomi. Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar also visited the memorial to pay homage.
At the State Secretariate, floral tributes were offered to the late leader while at Vidhan Bhavan, Legislative Assembly Speaker Dilip Walse-Patil paid tributes at the statue of Ambedkar.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Crucial file on 'truth behind Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's disappearance' destroyed in 1972
- Russian woman raped in Goa by guest house owner
- Nobody can portray Lakhan better than me: Anil Kapoor
- PHOTOS: How Mumbai Indians' captain Rohit Sharma celebrated his 29th birthday!
- Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim describes West Bengal's Garden Reach as 'mini-pakistan', draws flak