TV editors ask Maha to protect media after Raj`s `threat`
New Delhi: The ‘threats’ issued by Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray against Hindi news channels were an "assault on roots of democracy", a body of editors of electronic news channels said here on Sunday.
The Broadcast Editors` Association in a release asked the Maharashtra Government to ensure protection to media personnel in Mumbai against "lumpen elements".
"We take serious note of threats given by the MNS Chief against Hindi news channels and feel that this is not a threat held out against media but an assault on the roots of democracy," it said in a release.
"Such statements are not acceptable in a democratic society and reveal his contempt for Constitution, rule of law and society," the Association said.
The BEA said it does not believe in reacting to "such aberrations with an element of vindictiveness" and demanded that the central and the Maharashtra governments "initiate legal action under IPC in larger interest of public confidence in democratic system and rule of law".
Alleging that Hindi news channels were distorting his statements, MNS chief Raj Thackeray today said they should not air news without understanding issues.
Speaking at a party meeting here today, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief said "I want to tell the Hindi news channel to first understand the issue before it is broadcast ...Otherwise we know how to deal with it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway