TV editors ask Maha to protect media after Raj`s `threat`
New Delhi: The ‘threats’ issued by Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray against Hindi news channels were an "assault on roots of democracy", a body of editors of electronic news channels said here on Sunday.
The Broadcast Editors` Association in a release asked the Maharashtra Government to ensure protection to media personnel in Mumbai against "lumpen elements".
"We take serious note of threats given by the MNS Chief against Hindi news channels and feel that this is not a threat held out against media but an assault on the roots of democracy," it said in a release.
"Such statements are not acceptable in a democratic society and reveal his contempt for Constitution, rule of law and society," the Association said.
The BEA said it does not believe in reacting to "such aberrations with an element of vindictiveness" and demanded that the central and the Maharashtra governments "initiate legal action under IPC in larger interest of public confidence in democratic system and rule of law".
Alleging that Hindi news channels were distorting his statements, MNS chief Raj Thackeray today said they should not air news without understanding issues.
Speaking at a party meeting here today, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief said "I want to tell the Hindi news channel to first understand the issue before it is broadcast ...Otherwise we know how to deal with it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security