Two alleged chain snatchers escape from Dharavi police lock-up
Mumbai: Two alleged chain snatchers escaped on Monday, after breaking open a toilet window grill of the Dharavi police station lock-up in Central Mumbai, the police said.
"Accused Satish Kunchikurve (25) and Suresh Kunchikurve (27) were not found inside the lock-up today afternoon when cops went to take them to a court hearing," Assistant Police Commissioner Prakash Landage said.
The two, who were lodged in the Arthur Road Central Jail after being arrested by the Mumbai police Crime Branch, were taken into custody by the Dharavi police after their names surfaced in a chain snatching case.
A preliminary probe suggested that the accused escaped between 10.30 am and 12 pm today after breaking open a small toilet window grill.
"Special teams have been formed to trace the accused," Deputy Police Commissioner Dhananjay Kulkarni said.
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today
- Prisoners revolt in Syria's Hama jail, seize guards - Syrian Observatory
- Spain misses deadline for new government, June election set