Two alleged chain snatchers escape from Dharavi police lock-up
Mumbai: Two alleged chain snatchers escaped on Monday, after breaking open a toilet window grill of the Dharavi police station lock-up in Central Mumbai, the police said.
"Accused Satish Kunchikurve (25) and Suresh Kunchikurve (27) were not found inside the lock-up today afternoon when cops went to take them to a court hearing," Assistant Police Commissioner Prakash Landage said.
The two, who were lodged in the Arthur Road Central Jail after being arrested by the Mumbai police Crime Branch, were taken into custody by the Dharavi police after their names surfaced in a chain snatching case.
A preliminary probe suggested that the accused escaped between 10.30 am and 12 pm today after breaking open a small toilet window grill.
"Special teams have been formed to trace the accused," Deputy Police Commissioner Dhananjay Kulkarni said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family