Two arrested in Mumbai, 17 firearms seized
Mumbai: Mumbai Crime Branch have arrested
a suspected member of Chhota Rajan gang and a Bihar-based supplier of firearms from the metropolis in separate incidents
and seized 17 pistols from the duo.
Acting on a tip-off, Zuber Jamaadar, a member of Rajan
gang, was arrested outside Ghatkopar Railway station on
Wednesday, Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Himanshu Roy told
A 0.38 foreign-make pistol, 56 cartridges -- including
50 `prohibited bore` 9mm weapon bullets used by the police or
the armed forces, which cannot be used by civilians -- were
recovered from him, Roy said.
The 30-year-old gangster was a close aide of Farid
Tanasha, who was killed last year allegedly by members of
Bharat Nepali gang, the officer said.
Zuber was suspected to have procured the pistol from
Tanasha. Such weapons are usually smuggled into the country
via Nepal and Bangladesh, Roy said.
In the other case, a Bihar-based weapons supplier
Manohar Gupta (35) was arrested from suburban Bhandup last
night, police said.
Sixteen country-made pistols of different bores and
ten rounds which had been brought from Chapra in Bihar were
seized from his possession, Roy said.
A new trend has evolved in the underworld where
weapon-suppliers come to the city and sell firearms to the
highest bidder, he said.
"Gupta did not arrive here to hand over the weapons to
a particular person or a gang. The accused says he sells the
weapon for Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000," Roy said.
With the seizure of the weapons, many crimes which
could have happened otherwise have been averted, Roy claimed.
Further probe was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi