Two arrested in Mumbai, 17 firearms seized
Mumbai: Mumbai Crime Branch have arrested
a suspected member of Chhota Rajan gang and a Bihar-based supplier of firearms from the metropolis in separate incidents
and seized 17 pistols from the duo.
Acting on a tip-off, Zuber Jamaadar, a member of Rajan
gang, was arrested outside Ghatkopar Railway station on
Wednesday, Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Himanshu Roy told
A 0.38 foreign-make pistol, 56 cartridges -- including
50 `prohibited bore` 9mm weapon bullets used by the police or
the armed forces, which cannot be used by civilians -- were
recovered from him, Roy said.
The 30-year-old gangster was a close aide of Farid
Tanasha, who was killed last year allegedly by members of
Bharat Nepali gang, the officer said.
Zuber was suspected to have procured the pistol from
Tanasha. Such weapons are usually smuggled into the country
via Nepal and Bangladesh, Roy said.
In the other case, a Bihar-based weapons supplier
Manohar Gupta (35) was arrested from suburban Bhandup last
night, police said.
Sixteen country-made pistols of different bores and
ten rounds which had been brought from Chapra in Bihar were
seized from his possession, Roy said.
A new trend has evolved in the underworld where
weapon-suppliers come to the city and sell firearms to the
highest bidder, he said.
"Gupta did not arrive here to hand over the weapons to
a particular person or a gang. The accused says he sells the
weapon for Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000," Roy said.
With the seizure of the weapons, many crimes which
could have happened otherwise have been averted, Roy claimed.
Further probe was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations