Two cops, woman injured in Naxal firing in Maharashtra
Gadchiroli: Two policemen and a woman were injured in firing by Maoists at a village in Etapalli taluka of the district on Friday morning, police said.
Police Sub Inspector Vijay Jadhav, Constable Umesh Kodape and a local woman Zantu Dey were wounded in their legs, they said.
The policemen and the woman were injured when the Naxals, clad in civil dress, opened fire at them at around 9.30 am at the main square of Gatta (Jambhiya) village, Superintendent of Police Mohd Suvez Haque told reporters here today.
Police could not retaliate since it was a public place and several people were present at the square at that time, he added.
While the policemen were taken to a private hospital in Nagpur, the woman was admitted to the government medical college there, Haque said.
Meanwhile, police have arrested a Naxalite Bandu, alias Tukaram Pungati, from Mangota village in Aheri taluka today.
Bandu joined the Naxal movement in 2008 in Permili Dalam and was involved in the Kuchkundi, Kachner and Kandoli firings as well as in a murder case in 2011, the SP said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India