Two-day-old girl found abandoned in gunny bag
Yavatmal: A two-day-old girl, allegedly dumped by her mother, was found in a closed gunny bag near Pus river in Umarkhed town here and is now battling for her life at a hospital, police said.
A call was received from a farmer yesterday that wails of a baby could be heard from a closed gunny bag lying near the river`s canal, following which police rushed to the spot and recovered her.
The newborn was admitted to the Government Rural hospital in Umarkhed for first aid, but was later shifted to Nanded government medical college, where her condition is serious, sub-divisional police officer Pusad Jagdev Akhare said.
"We have registered an offence against the missing mother but could not trace her so far," Akhare said, adding that police suspect that the woman abandoned the baby as she might have been born out of wedlock.
Meanwhile, sitting MLA from Umarkhed, Vijay Khadse, BJP Yuva Morcha state executive member, Nitin Bhutada, District Collector Ashvin Mudgal and other senior district officials visited the hospital where she is admitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez