Two-day-old girl found abandoned in gunny bag
Yavatmal: A two-day-old girl, allegedly dumped by her mother, was found in a closed gunny bag near Pus river in Umarkhed town here and is now battling for her life at a hospital, police said.
A call was received from a farmer yesterday that wails of a baby could be heard from a closed gunny bag lying near the river`s canal, following which police rushed to the spot and recovered her.
The newborn was admitted to the Government Rural hospital in Umarkhed for first aid, but was later shifted to Nanded government medical college, where her condition is serious, sub-divisional police officer Pusad Jagdev Akhare said.
"We have registered an offence against the missing mother but could not trace her so far," Akhare said, adding that police suspect that the woman abandoned the baby as she might have been born out of wedlock.
Meanwhile, sitting MLA from Umarkhed, Vijay Khadse, BJP Yuva Morcha state executive member, Nitin Bhutada, District Collector Ashvin Mudgal and other senior district officials visited the hospital where she is admitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Journalists visa row: There'll be 'serious consequences', China warns India
- Protests over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew in south Kashmir to prevent separatist called march
- Bernie Sanders to emphasise agreements with Hillary Clinton at National Convention
- World's most sensitive detector 'LUX' finds no dark matter
- Multiple sclerosis: 15 warning signs you might have the condition