Two girls held for FB post questioning bandh for Thackeray`s funeral
Mumbai: Two girls from nearby Thane district were arrested by the Mumbai Police for posting a Facebook comment that questioned the bandh in Mumbai following Shiv Sena leader Bal Thackeray`s death.
While 21-year-old Shaheen Dhadha was arrested for Facebook status update which reportedly read: ‘People like Thackeray are born and die daily and one should not observe a bandh for that.’
Her friend, indentified as one Renu, who ‘liked’ her comment was also arrested.
The duo were reportedly booked under Section 295 (a) of the IPC (for hurting religious sentiments) and Section 64 (a) of the Information Technology Act, 2000.
However, within hours of the arrest, both of them were released on bail of Rs 15,000 each.
The arrests came hours after Shiv Sainiks reportedly attacked and ransacked Shaheen’s orthopaedic clinic at Palghar.
Importantly, the girl had withdrawn the comment and apologised before the attacks took place.
Meanwhile, Justice Markandey Katju has written a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan in which he has termed the arrest as absurd and demanded immediate action against guilty officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...