Two groups clash during village meet in Thane; ten held
Thane (Maha): Ten persons have been arrested following a clash between two groups during a village meet in Jawhar tehsil of the district, police said Wednesday.
The Thane District Rural police arrested the accused on Tuesday from Nehale village in the district.
"A meeting had been convened in Nehale village on Tuesday to discuss the proposal to change the police patil (village-level police assistant). Soon heated argument broke out among the members over several issues. However, things went out of control as members of two rival groups clashed and attacked each other," PI Keshavrao Naik of Jawhar police station told PTI.
Cross complaints have been registered by the two rival groups in this regard.
As per the complaint lodged by one Raju Kokate, a group of seven people, led by one Sunil S Jhawre disrupted the meeting and later attacked them. In his cross complaint, Jhawre said Kokate and his half a dozen supporters attacked them during the meet.
Further investigation is on, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her