Two groups clash during village meet in Thane; ten held
Thane (Maha): Ten persons have been arrested following a clash between two groups during a village meet in Jawhar tehsil of the district, police said Wednesday.
The Thane District Rural police arrested the accused on Tuesday from Nehale village in the district.
"A meeting had been convened in Nehale village on Tuesday to discuss the proposal to change the police patil (village-level police assistant). Soon heated argument broke out among the members over several issues. However, things went out of control as members of two rival groups clashed and attacked each other," PI Keshavrao Naik of Jawhar police station told PTI.
Cross complaints have been registered by the two rival groups in this regard.
As per the complaint lodged by one Raju Kokate, a group of seven people, led by one Sunil S Jhawre disrupted the meeting and later attacked them. In his cross complaint, Jhawre said Kokate and his half a dozen supporters attacked them during the meet.
Further investigation is on, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike? - Part II
- NT Awards 2016: Zee News bags 5 honours in various categories
- Istanbul terror attack: 41 killed, ISIS prime suspect; Ataturk Airport resumes flights
- US polls: Barack Obama to campaign with Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump shrinks gap
- NSG membership: We 'regret' India's failure in Seoul but won't give up, says US
- Vladimir Putin lifts Turkey travel restrictions after phone call with Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- Two-wheeler drivers not wearing helmets won't get petrol in these Kerala cities - Details inside