Two held for tampering with IMEI numbers of mobile handsets
Beed: Two persons have been arrested for allegedly tampering with IMEI numbers of mobile phone handsets, some of them of reputed brands, after police busted their hideout in a raid.
On a tip-off, Local Crime Branch sleuths raided a house in Vidya Nagar (east) area on Thursday night and apprehended Sachin Dipakrao Dube and Shiakh Feroz, while their accomplice Shaikh Iliyas Bagwan is on the run, they said.
"The accused Dube was replacing the IMEI number of a branded mobile phone handset with a duplicate one at his house when we raided it. Dube got this phone from another accused and his friend Shaikh Feroz," according to a release issued by the crime branch today.
The IMEI or MEID number of mobile phone acts as a unique identifier for that device and no two devices will have the same IMEI or MEID number.
Police suspect that the handsets seized are stolen and the IMEI numbers are being tampered with in a bid to avoid tracking and to sell off the phones.
"Dube allegedly used to install porn clips in memory cards and replace the IMEI numbers," police said, adding that a desktop, some equipment needed for replacing the IMEI number and Rs 59,200 in cash were seized from Dube`s house.
A complaint against the trio was registered by police sub-inspector, crime branch, Vijay Kamble.
The arrested duo Dube and Firoz were presented before the district sessions court today which remanded them in police custody till August 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened