Two killed in attempt on life of Shiv Sena leader
Thane: Two persons were killed during an attempt on the life of a local Shiv Sena leader at Ambernath town here Wednesday night, police said.
Four unidentified persons, armed with sten-guns, entered Shiv Sena`s office in Ambernath and opened fire at the party`s local unit chief Arvind Walekar injuring him, they said.
Walekar`s bodyguards quickly surrounded him and one of them was fatally hit by a bullet, police said.
The bodyguards too fired killing one of the assailants, they said.
The two deceased are yet to be identified.
Walekar has been admitted to a local hospital, police said.
It is suspected that the firing is a result of previous enmity, they said, adding police have launched a manhunt for the attackers.
Walekar, a former president of the Ambernath Municipal Council, was named as an accused in a criminal case but was subsequently acquitted by the Sessions Court.
Security has been stepped up at Ambernath, located on the outskirts of Mumbai, following the incident, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today