Two killed in attempt on life of Shiv Sena leader
Thane: Two persons were killed during an attempt on the life of a local Shiv Sena leader at Ambernath town here Wednesday night, police said.
Four unidentified persons, armed with sten-guns, entered Shiv Sena`s office in Ambernath and opened fire at the party`s local unit chief Arvind Walekar injuring him, they said.
Walekar`s bodyguards quickly surrounded him and one of them was fatally hit by a bullet, police said.
The bodyguards too fired killing one of the assailants, they said.
The two deceased are yet to be identified.
Walekar has been admitted to a local hospital, police said.
It is suspected that the firing is a result of previous enmity, they said, adding police have launched a manhunt for the attackers.
Walekar, a former president of the Ambernath Municipal Council, was named as an accused in a criminal case but was subsequently acquitted by the Sessions Court.
Security has been stepped up at Ambernath, located on the outskirts of Mumbai, following the incident, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why