Two killed in attempt on life of Shiv Sena leader
Thane: Two persons were killed during an attempt on the life of a local Shiv Sena leader at Ambernath town here Wednesday night, police said.
Four unidentified persons, armed with sten-guns, entered Shiv Sena`s office in Ambernath and opened fire at the party`s local unit chief Arvind Walekar injuring him, they said.
Walekar`s bodyguards quickly surrounded him and one of them was fatally hit by a bullet, police said.
The bodyguards too fired killing one of the assailants, they said.
The two deceased are yet to be identified.
Walekar has been admitted to a local hospital, police said.
It is suspected that the firing is a result of previous enmity, they said, adding police have launched a manhunt for the attackers.
Walekar, a former president of the Ambernath Municipal Council, was named as an accused in a criminal case but was subsequently acquitted by the Sessions Court.
Security has been stepped up at Ambernath, located on the outskirts of Mumbai, following the incident, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says