Two men, arrested for taking bribe in Karkare`s name, acquitted
Mumbai: The special Anti-Corruption Bureau court has acquitted two security consultants, allegedly caught red-handed while taking bribe in the name of former ATS chief and the slain IPS officer Hemant Karare.
The ACB had alleged that the two took bribes from those who wanted license for running private security agency.
Gupta and Sunil Vishwakarma for the lack of evidence and prosecution`s failure to prove the case.
According to the ACB, in February 2008, Inspector Ramesh Kadam, attached to the armoury department of Mumbai police, received information that Gupta was seeking a bribe of Rs 2 lakh in the name of Karkare, then the Joint Commissioner of Police (who later got killed during the 26/11 Mumbai attack) from security agency license seekers.
Kadam shared this information with Karkare, who himself called up Gupta posing as `Ramdatt Sharma`, an owner of security agency, to verify the information.
Gupta told Karkare that he would charge Rs 2 lakh, as he needed to pay police officers, including Karkare.
Karkare then directed Kadam to file a case with the ACB.
Gupta and Vishwakarma were trapped red-handed while accepting the first instalment of Rs 10,000 from a policeman who posed as `manager` of the security agency.
However, during the trial, defence lawyers Ram Tahilramani and H S Pawar argued that the recorded conversation between accused and the decoy manager had been produced in a CD, but there was no certificate from the person who transferred the data and cut the CD.
The court also noted that the digital recorder on which the conversation was recorded was not produced.
Further, the witness who had accompanied `the manager` did not support the case, the defence pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31