Two men, arrested for taking bribe in Karkare`s name, acquitted
Mumbai: The special Anti-Corruption Bureau court has acquitted two security consultants, allegedly caught red-handed while taking bribe in the name of former ATS chief and the slain IPS officer Hemant Karare.
The ACB had alleged that the two took bribes from those who wanted license for running private security agency.
Gupta and Sunil Vishwakarma for the lack of evidence and prosecution`s failure to prove the case.
According to the ACB, in February 2008, Inspector Ramesh Kadam, attached to the armoury department of Mumbai police, received information that Gupta was seeking a bribe of Rs 2 lakh in the name of Karkare, then the Joint Commissioner of Police (who later got killed during the 26/11 Mumbai attack) from security agency license seekers.
Kadam shared this information with Karkare, who himself called up Gupta posing as `Ramdatt Sharma`, an owner of security agency, to verify the information.
Gupta told Karkare that he would charge Rs 2 lakh, as he needed to pay police officers, including Karkare.
Karkare then directed Kadam to file a case with the ACB.
Gupta and Vishwakarma were trapped red-handed while accepting the first instalment of Rs 10,000 from a policeman who posed as `manager` of the security agency.
However, during the trial, defence lawyers Ram Tahilramani and H S Pawar argued that the recorded conversation between accused and the decoy manager had been produced in a CD, but there was no certificate from the person who transferred the data and cut the CD.
The court also noted that the digital recorder on which the conversation was recorded was not produced.
Further, the witness who had accompanied `the manager` did not support the case, the defence pointed out.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler