Two men, arrested for taking bribe in Karkare`s name, acquitted
Mumbai: The special Anti-Corruption Bureau court has acquitted two security consultants, allegedly caught red-handed while taking bribe in the name of former ATS chief and the slain IPS officer Hemant Karare.
The ACB had alleged that the two took bribes from those who wanted license for running private security agency.
Gupta and Sunil Vishwakarma for the lack of evidence and prosecution`s failure to prove the case.
According to the ACB, in February 2008, Inspector Ramesh Kadam, attached to the armoury department of Mumbai police, received information that Gupta was seeking a bribe of Rs 2 lakh in the name of Karkare, then the Joint Commissioner of Police (who later got killed during the 26/11 Mumbai attack) from security agency license seekers.
Kadam shared this information with Karkare, who himself called up Gupta posing as `Ramdatt Sharma`, an owner of security agency, to verify the information.
Gupta told Karkare that he would charge Rs 2 lakh, as he needed to pay police officers, including Karkare.
Karkare then directed Kadam to file a case with the ACB.
Gupta and Vishwakarma were trapped red-handed while accepting the first instalment of Rs 10,000 from a policeman who posed as `manager` of the security agency.
However, during the trial, defence lawyers Ram Tahilramani and H S Pawar argued that the recorded conversation between accused and the decoy manager had been produced in a CD, but there was no certificate from the person who transferred the data and cut the CD.
The court also noted that the digital recorder on which the conversation was recorded was not produced.
Further, the witness who had accompanied `the manager` did not support the case, the defence pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan