Two more women accuse Marathi writer of rape
Satara: Two more women have accused Marathi writer Laxman Mane of raping them, police said on Thursday. Earlier, three women alleged he had sexually assaulted them.
Mane is absconding since he was booked Tuesday on the allegations of the three women working in a school run by him in Jakatwadi village in Satara district, around 250 km from Mumbai.
"Of the two new complainants who came forward late Wednesday, one is a cook and the other was a peon in the school. Mane is absconding and police teams are investigating the matter," an officer from Taluka Police Station told a news agency.
Mane, 63, a former Maharashtra legislative council member, has now been charged with raping five women working at his residential school for tribal children in Satara.
Mane was honoured with a Padma Shri by the central government four years ago.
According to police, three married women aged between 30 and 35 Monday alleged that the writer raped them on the pretext of making them permanent employees of the school.
They claimed that he raped them between 2003 and 2010 in the school, at his home in Satara and at a guest house in Pune.
After booking Mane for rape, police teams visited his home and other places, but so far he is untraceable.
Mane`s family stoutly denied the allegations and said he was being framed.
Mane also won the Sahitya Akademi award for his autobiography "Upara" in 1981.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof