Two occultists held for duping businessman
Thane: Two occultists were arrested from Rajasthan and Wardha in Maharashtra after they allegedly duped a businessman from Bhiwandi town of Rs 1.50 lakh under the guise of curing his health condition, police said on Thursday.
"Baba Rajubhai Malesram (49) and Ramlal Rathod (35) were apprehended last week for allegedly tricking Gulabrao Desale (38) of Bhiwandi. Desale gave Rs 1.50 lakh cash to the two accused after they convinced him of `curing` his allergic skin rashes", Assistant police inspector Vijay Malshe of Narpoli police station said today.
After the victim contacted the duo over phone, they asked him to perform some rituals at his place to "unearth a hidden treasure and cure his illness", police said.
"After performing the rituals last month, the accused asked Desale to buy medicines suggested by them from a chemist`s shop in Bhiwandi and also asked him to hand over the cash at the shop, which he obliged," Malshe said.
Malesram and Rathod tricked Desale into believing that they had stumbled upon a "treasure" from his house.
According to police, the accused filled up a small earthen pot with mud, sealed it and handed it over to Desale, saying the family should open the same after a month.
Desale lodged a police complaint after he realised that he was duped by the duo.
Malesram and Rathod were booked under sections 420 (cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property), 419 (punishment for cheating by impersonation) and 408 (criminal breach of trust) of Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Prevention of Witchcraft Act, police said, adding they have recovered the amount from the duo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’