Two Shiv Sena MLAs suspended for protest over toll collection
Mumbai: The ongoing agitation in Kolhapur against levy of toll found its echo in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly on Monday with two Shiv Sena MLAs from the area being suspended and physically evicted for disrupting the proceedings.
Trouble began during the debate on the state Budget when Sena MLAs Sujit Minchekar and Rajesh Kshirsagar began shouting slogans demanding immediate scrapping of toll and a discussion on the subject in the House.
They soon climbed the Speaker`s podium and lifted the mace in protest, forcing the chair to adjourn the House for ten minutes amid the ruckus.
Later, when the House reassembled, Deputy Speaker Vasant Purke announced the suspension of Minchekar and Kshirsagar for the rest of the session.
The defiant MLAs, however, refused to leave the House and squatted on the floor, forcing the chair to call in the Marshals to evict them physically.
Purke also asked other Shiv Sena members not to prevent the Marshals from doing their duty.
Several political parties including Shiv Sena,Peasants and Workers Party and the Left are protesting against collection of toll at Kolhapur. Several local leaders of the ruling Congress and NCP have also joined the protest.
Thousands of workers from these parties took out a Morcha from Gandhi Maidan to the Collector`s office today demanding scrapping of toll. However, no violence has been reported so far.
Several parts of the state, including Mumbai and Thane had witnessed violence in February this year after MNS leader Raj Thackeray asked his supporters to stop paying toll. Scores of toll booths were vandalised across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi