Two top MTNL officials under CBI scanner for scheme fraud
Mumbai: CBI has registered an FIR against
two top officials of MTNL, some of their juniors and nine
distributors for allegedly cheating the service provider to
the tune of Rs seven crore by issuing over three lakh fake SIM
card connections, its officials said today.
Deputy General Manager B B Chaudhary, Assistant General
Manager (Sales) V Gurumurthy of the government-run telecom
service provider MTNL, their juniors and nine private
distributors were charged with criminal conspiracy for causing
wrongful losses to the company, they said.
According to CBI`s Anti Corruption Bureau, during the
period June 2008 and February 2009, a scheme called SIM 75 was
introduced under which SIM cards with a value of Rs 75 were
provided to the distributors at Rs 50 per flat commission
Under the scheme the distributors were also entitled for
a commission of Rs 150 for each activated connection upto 600
connections, Rs 200 for 600 to 2000 connections and Rs 250
for above 2000 connections, they said.
However, it came to CBI`s notice that MTNL officials,
including these two top officials helped distributors activate
thousands of fake connections on the basis of forged Customer
Application Forms and cleared huge amount of commission, they
An investigation by the CBI has uncovered that the MTNL
officials have cleared the commission of the distributors for
over three lakh fake SIM connections, the officials said,
adding an FIR was registered against the accused in the
special CBI court on August 9.
The number of junior officials involved in the fraud is
not yet clear, they added.
Searches were conducted at the offices and residential
premises of the accused here, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`