Two top MTNL officials under CBI scanner for scheme fraud
Mumbai: CBI has registered an FIR against
two top officials of MTNL, some of their juniors and nine
distributors for allegedly cheating the service provider to
the tune of Rs seven crore by issuing over three lakh fake SIM
card connections, its officials said today.
Deputy General Manager B B Chaudhary, Assistant General
Manager (Sales) V Gurumurthy of the government-run telecom
service provider MTNL, their juniors and nine private
distributors were charged with criminal conspiracy for causing
wrongful losses to the company, they said.
According to CBI`s Anti Corruption Bureau, during the
period June 2008 and February 2009, a scheme called SIM 75 was
introduced under which SIM cards with a value of Rs 75 were
provided to the distributors at Rs 50 per flat commission
Under the scheme the distributors were also entitled for
a commission of Rs 150 for each activated connection upto 600
connections, Rs 200 for 600 to 2000 connections and Rs 250
for above 2000 connections, they said.
However, it came to CBI`s notice that MTNL officials,
including these two top officials helped distributors activate
thousands of fake connections on the basis of forged Customer
Application Forms and cleared huge amount of commission, they
An investigation by the CBI has uncovered that the MTNL
officials have cleared the commission of the distributors for
over three lakh fake SIM connections, the officials said,
adding an FIR was registered against the accused in the
special CBI court on August 9.
The number of junior officials involved in the fraud is
not yet clear, they added.
Searches were conducted at the offices and residential
premises of the accused here, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people