Two top MTNL officials under CBI scanner for scheme fraud
Mumbai: CBI has registered an FIR against
two top officials of MTNL, some of their juniors and nine
distributors for allegedly cheating the service provider to
the tune of Rs seven crore by issuing over three lakh fake SIM
card connections, its officials said today.
Deputy General Manager B B Chaudhary, Assistant General
Manager (Sales) V Gurumurthy of the government-run telecom
service provider MTNL, their juniors and nine private
distributors were charged with criminal conspiracy for causing
wrongful losses to the company, they said.
According to CBI`s Anti Corruption Bureau, during the
period June 2008 and February 2009, a scheme called SIM 75 was
introduced under which SIM cards with a value of Rs 75 were
provided to the distributors at Rs 50 per flat commission
Under the scheme the distributors were also entitled for
a commission of Rs 150 for each activated connection upto 600
connections, Rs 200 for 600 to 2000 connections and Rs 250
for above 2000 connections, they said.
However, it came to CBI`s notice that MTNL officials,
including these two top officials helped distributors activate
thousands of fake connections on the basis of forged Customer
Application Forms and cleared huge amount of commission, they
An investigation by the CBI has uncovered that the MTNL
officials have cleared the commission of the distributors for
over three lakh fake SIM connections, the officials said,
adding an FIR was registered against the accused in the
special CBI court on August 9.
The number of junior officials involved in the fraud is
not yet clear, they added.
Searches were conducted at the offices and residential
premises of the accused here, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof