Two Vidarbha farmers commit suicide
Nagpur: Two farmers from Vidarbha region have ended their lives with an advocacy group claiming that the number of such cases have risen to 332 this year.
"Two farmers have committed suicide in the Yavatmal district," a senior official told PTI.
The deceased have been indentified as Ajabrao Meshram of village Shivani and Ramnna Pedkulwar of village Aril.
Meanwhile, farmers` advocacy group Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti claimed three more farmers have ended their lives in Vidarbha region since yesterday.
Ramdas Dhale of village Chicholi in Yavatmal district committed suicide early today morning, it said, adding he was a debt-ridden cotton farmer.
Parvatibai Kadel of Poharadevi in Washim district and Shriram Kakad of village Sategaon in Amaravati ended their lives, the Samiti said.
The number of farmers` suicides in year 2012 rose to 332, Kishore Tiwari, President of Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti (VJAS) claimed.
Activists claimed that low cotton yield was one of the factors which had forced farmers to take the extreme step.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH