Two Vidarbha farmers commit suicide
Nagpur: Two farmers from Vidarbha region have ended their lives with an advocacy group claiming that the number of such cases have risen to 332 this year.
"Two farmers have committed suicide in the Yavatmal district," a senior official told PTI.
The deceased have been indentified as Ajabrao Meshram of village Shivani and Ramnna Pedkulwar of village Aril.
Meanwhile, farmers` advocacy group Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti claimed three more farmers have ended their lives in Vidarbha region since yesterday.
Ramdas Dhale of village Chicholi in Yavatmal district committed suicide early today morning, it said, adding he was a debt-ridden cotton farmer.
Parvatibai Kadel of Poharadevi in Washim district and Shriram Kakad of village Sategaon in Amaravati ended their lives, the Samiti said.
The number of farmers` suicides in year 2012 rose to 332, Kishore Tiwari, President of Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti (VJAS) claimed.
Activists claimed that low cotton yield was one of the factors which had forced farmers to take the extreme step.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...