Uddhav challenges Nirupam to `halt` Mumbai
Mumbai: Criticising Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam`s statement concerning north Indians, Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray on Monday challenged him to bring Mumbai to a halt.
Nirupam, while addressing a public rally in Nagpur yesterday, had indirectly targetted the Shiv Sena and
Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) over the attacks on north
Indians in the state. "North Indians could bring Mumbai to a
halt if they chose to," he had said.
However, Thackeray today warned Nirupam of dire
consequences if he dared to bring the city to a halt, as he
has threatened to.
Thackeray alleged that Nirupam has raked up the
controversy just to catch the media attention.
"He is doing all this to grab the media limelight. The
elections are round the corner and his statement is aimed at
dividing the Marathi vote-bank," the Sena leader said while
talking to reporters here.
Thackeray further said that all the north Indians are not
Nirupam`s personal fiefdom. "During the 1992-93 Mumbai riots,
the Shiv Sena had given protection to the north Indians," he
Referring to Sena supremo Bal Thackeray`s statement
during the Dussehra rally about resorting to violence if
Mumbai was to be severed from Maharashtra, Thackeray said,
"When Sena supremo raised the issue of Mumbai at the rally, he
Thackeray also sought to know whether the Congress party
endorsed Nirupam`s statements.
However, Congress distanced itself from the issue saying,
Nirupam`s statement was his "personal view".
"It is his personal view. And Congress has nothing to
with it. The party has never taken such a stand. I do not have
all the information about what he (Nirupam) said. I will have
check in what context he said this," MPCC spokesperson Anant
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you