Uddhav hails Chavan for ordering probe against VIDC officials
Mumbai: Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray on Sunday congratulated Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan for "showing courage" in launching a departmental inquiry against officials of the Vidarbha Irrigation Development Corporation (VIDC).
"Chavan has been under tremendous pressure from NCP chief Sharad Pawar and his nephew Ajit Pawar. They even met him but Chavan has stood his ground. We want the inquiry to be indepth which would nail the culprits even if they are ministers. The probe should be time-bound," Uddhav said.
Chavan has ordered a departmental probe against 45 VIDC officials indicted in the Vadnere Committee report in 2010.
The departmental inquiry had been pending for two years.
The engineers, including VIDC`s former chief executive director D P Shirke, will now face probe on several counts including having turned a blind eye to government norms while clearing cost escalations, not supervising works on site and not following tender conditions.
The one-man Vadnere committee was set up in March 2010 following complaints and media reports over cost escalations, and official-contractor-politician nexus in approving projects in Vidarbha.
"Congress should not replace the chief minister under NCP`s pressure. If that happens, the inquiry will be in the cold storage but we will keep a watch on what`s happening in the probe," added Uddhav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP