Uddhav seeks CBI inquiry into Munde`s accident
Parli: Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray Wednesday said a CBI inquiry should be conducted into Union minister Gopinath Munde`s accidental death as demanded by his supporters.
"The sentiments of the (party) workers should be respected," Uddhav, who was present at Munde`s funeral here this afternoon, said.
Uddhav`s remarks came after RPI(A) leader Ramdas Athawale, whose party is a constituent of the `Mahayuti` alliance cobbled up by Munde, demanded that a CBI inquiry be conducted to rule out any sabotage in the accident.
Several supporters of Munde who had come for the funeral, tried to obstruct state ministers Harshwardhan Patil and Chhagan Bhujbal, demanding a CBI inquiry into Munde`s accidental death.
"Entire Maharashtra and the nation are in a state of shock. Mundeji had profound faith in the ideals of Babasaheb Ambdedkar and he was a big supporter of the Dalit movement in Maharashtra. He could never tolerate any injustice against Dalits and worked with me side by side against any outcry made by the party to protect Dalit interest and offered full support to quell Dalit atrocities. I demand a full CBI investigation to rule out any sabotage in the accident," Athawale had yesterday said.
Expressing his profound grief on Munde`s demise, Athawale said fate has deprived Maharashtra and India of a towering leader.
"What a terrible tragedy! Gopinathji was a friend and someone with whom I shared a personal bond. Even when we met recently we discussed issues and like always he had interesting suggestions to offer," he said.
State BJP leader Prakash Shendge also sought a probe to ascertain what led to Munde`s demise.
BJP state spokesperson Awdhoot Wagh had also sought a CBI probe into the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Now, get your email address in Hindi
- None of your concern, says Indian Army after China's warning over deployment of BrahMos missile in Arunachal
- PHOTOS: BRUTAL! Randy Orton receives 10 staples after Brock Lesnar's assault at SummerSlam
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government