Uddhav seeks CBI inquiry into Munde`s accident
Parli: Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray Wednesday said a CBI inquiry should be conducted into Union minister Gopinath Munde`s accidental death as demanded by his supporters.
"The sentiments of the (party) workers should be respected," Uddhav, who was present at Munde`s funeral here this afternoon, said.
Uddhav`s remarks came after RPI(A) leader Ramdas Athawale, whose party is a constituent of the `Mahayuti` alliance cobbled up by Munde, demanded that a CBI inquiry be conducted to rule out any sabotage in the accident.
Several supporters of Munde who had come for the funeral, tried to obstruct state ministers Harshwardhan Patil and Chhagan Bhujbal, demanding a CBI inquiry into Munde`s accidental death.
"Entire Maharashtra and the nation are in a state of shock. Mundeji had profound faith in the ideals of Babasaheb Ambdedkar and he was a big supporter of the Dalit movement in Maharashtra. He could never tolerate any injustice against Dalits and worked with me side by side against any outcry made by the party to protect Dalit interest and offered full support to quell Dalit atrocities. I demand a full CBI investigation to rule out any sabotage in the accident," Athawale had yesterday said.
Expressing his profound grief on Munde`s demise, Athawale said fate has deprived Maharashtra and India of a towering leader.
"What a terrible tragedy! Gopinathji was a friend and someone with whom I shared a personal bond. Even when we met recently we discussed issues and like always he had interesting suggestions to offer," he said.
State BJP leader Prakash Shendge also sought a probe to ascertain what led to Munde`s demise.
BJP state spokesperson Awdhoot Wagh had also sought a CBI probe into the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!